- Avoid hot showers. Hot water strips your skin of it’s natural oils. Use warm water for your face and skin. Use cool water on your face if you are acne prone. Warm and hot actually increase the bacteria growth.
- Look for lotions containing a “humectant”. These products typically have sorbitol, glycerin and alpha-hydroxy acids that attract moisture to your skin. You want an oil based moisturizer not a water based one to keep moisture levels high.
- Drink Water! Your skin is your largest organ and it is comprised of 90% water. If you want your skin to be clear, plump, and youthful looking, you need to keep your body hydrated, even when you are cold.
- Moisturize the air you breath. Break out your humidifier or simply place a bowl of water in the room that you live in the most. As the water evaporates it will add moisture to the air. Having house plants also helps.
- Sunscreen is still on the order. Snow, if we ever get any, reflects 80% of the sun’s rays compared to sand at 20%. At least a 15 SPF please.
- Get a facial! Exfoliation is important in the winter months. So often we load up on heavier creams to compensate for the dryness. but dry skin often means cellular buildup. Exfoliation should be a regular part of your winter regime. Once the dry skin is removed replenish the new healthy skin with moisturizers that are rich in vitamins. If you can’t make the time or don’t have the money for a professional, give yourself a wonderful moisturizing facial after you exfoliate at home. See my recipe below.
This recipe can be used anywhere on your body that you are wanting to add moisture, legs, feet, face, hands, you name it! Apply for 10 minutes and wash with a gentle milk cleanser.
Green Island Facial
1 ripe avocado
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp honey
Puree and whip all ingredients together. Apply to affected area with a soft brush in upward strokes and cover with plastic wrap. (Cut holes for your nose and eyes if you are using this on your face) Allow to penetrate for up to 10 minutes and remove by splashing warm water or in the shower. Apply moisturizer as usual.
Please add your email to my list so you will catch all my beauty tips and my weekly Beauty Briefs!
Please feel free to share this with your friends!
Thanks for stopping by!