March Madness has been all the talk this past month. There is another topic of “madness” I hear from many of the men that sit in my chair. I bet you can guess what it is...Balding. Men are obsessed with it! Even when I try to convince some of myclients that women are really not that shallow and many of us actually find abald head sexy, they are not biting. So as a stylist, it is my job to try and bring my clients what they want. As we move into the final four, let me expound on the things out there in the market that really work for hair loss and premature balding.
- Propecia, Finasteride, Minoxidil and Dutasteride are prescription medicines that are showing promising results. The downside of these medications is that once you stop using them, the hair loss returns. Side effects range from chronic dry eye, possible liver problems, and increase of breast cancer to decreased libido. sources: #1, #2
- A healthier option: Sulfur is being reported and has been witnessed by me personally, to help regrow hair. One client astounded me in particular. I saw hair regrowth that was substantial! Sulfur is a naturally occurring chemical that we do not get enough of these days. It enables the transport of oxygen across cell membranes and is necessary for healthy cellular regeneration. NaturoDoc has an in-depth study available online here. They sell the sulfur online, no bad side effects like the prescription drugs, and best of all NaturoDoc is a local company located in Washoe Valley! (It is important to talk to your doctor before taking large amounts of this or any other supplement)
- Thickening shampoo: Depending on the extent of hair loss,you can use thickening shampoos. They could be the thing for you! These shampoos have extracts and chemicals that will “plump” up the hair shaft and create a fuller look for you.
- Strategic haircut: Talk to your stylist about doing things to minimize your weak spots. Say you’re receding; growing the front out a little more may hide this area. Or if you are thinning on top, leaving it a little longer can make it look thicker.
- Coloring: This is an excellent option if your hair is lighter or turning grey. Tinting or dying the hair creates an optical illusion that will make it look like you have more hair.
- Disguise it: There are a number of hair fiber products on the market to look into. Toppik, Organin, Caboki, and DermMatch are just afew. They add fibers that attach to your hair and make it look like you have more hair than you actually do. Here is a link to a demo for one of them.
- Be proud of it! Wear it like a badge of honor. Think Bruce Willis, Dwayne "The Rock” Johnson, ’Stone Cold’ Steve Austin, Vin Diesel, Yul Brenner and Michael Jordan, just to name a few. You can’t even imagine these men with hair now. And they are all very sexy and powerful men.
My wish for you as we wrap up this installment is that your brackets all pay off and that your hair growth will increase (if that is what you wish for) which in turn will require you to come into the salon for more frequent visits! :)
Till next week.